Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A PEARL OF WISDOM FROM PASTOR STEVE WEAVER

As you all know, Pastor Steve Weaver is my son. We live about 650 mi. apart, so we don't see one another very often. However, we talk by telephone almost daily. During one of our phone conversations in which we were discussing how busy we are(he, very; me, not so much), this pearl of wisdom fell from his lips:"It seems like the busier I am, the more I am able to accomplish." Frankly folks, I was dumbfounded! That is profound! Not only was that a deep and highly quotable thought, but I am (almost) positive that it was 100% original. (Friendly warning: If you are planning on using this quote in, for instance, a motivational speech, you must give Steve the appropriate acknowledgement.)

But wait! There's more! After recovering from my initial amazement, and after quietly giving thanks that such wisdom dwelt among men, a response was triggered in my own mind. Almost without thinking, I said:" That's interesting, because I've just been thinking that the more I lay around, the less I am able to accomplish". Now I don't expect my observation to get equal time with Steve's, but it does prove the truth of the proverb:"Iron sharpeneth iron..."(Pro.27:17)

7 comments:

David said...

You kill me!

Jeremy Weaver said...

I remember I called you once. What's your number again?
If only I were a pastor who got paid to talk on the phone all day...

Garry Weaver said...

Thirstydavid,
Yeah, I know.

Jeremy,
I think I remember you calling me once.

Gordon said...

Steve's quote may be wiser, but yours sounds like more fun.

D.J. Cimino said...

I agree with Gordon! ;-)

Terry said...

On a more serious note ...

I think pastors (myself included) can make the mistake of projecting busyness. Other people in my church are busy too. I think that I may have scared some people off. I don't want to waste time, but I do want to be approachable when people genuinely need to talk.

So, how DO you manage to lay around all the time, Garry?

Garry Weaver said...

Terry,
I agree. I fear that we give the impression to our people that we don't have time for them. Somebody oughta post on that.
However, Steve doesn't scare people off by projecting busyness. He scares them off because he's scairy lookin'.

To answer your question about how I manage to lay around all the time: It takes planning, bro. You will never be a world-class loafer if you aren't willing to work hard at it. The fact that you had to ask, gives me serious doubt that you will ever be a successful lay-about. Sorry to burst your bubble.